What to look for in a Reiki Practitioner?
Choosing the right Reiki practitioner is essential for having a positive and effective healing experience. Whether you're new to Reiki or seeking a new practitioner, here are some key factors to consider when selecting a Reiki practitioner:
1. Resonance: My number one suggestion is to find a Reiki Practitioner who you resonate with. Look at their photo, watch their videos, listen to their voice and pay attention to how your body feels while you are getting to know them. Your body carries a lot of wisdom, and this is important information. If it feels right or good in your body, trust that. If not, trust that too--this is your intuition speaking, listen.
2. Qualifications and Training: Look for a Reiki practitioner who has received training and certification from a reputable Reiki Master Practitioner or organization. Ask about the length and depth of their training times (some people complete 1-3 hour trainings that are all online, others do several immersive weekend experiences in-person). Ask what their current practice is. A dedicated practitioner often engages in ongoing education and personal growth to refine their skills and deepen their understanding.
3. Integrative Practices: Reiki, like Yoga or Fitness, has many different ways that it can be practiced. It can be helpful to understand if practitioners are integrating other modalities (which is a very common), or if they're practicing in a more traditional way. The Reiki system came out of Japan in the early 20th century, with a strong focus on palm-healing, meditating and precepts practice. When Reiki came to the United States decades later, some teachers have elected to include New Age practices within Reiki sessions that such as chakra/auric field balancing and diagnosing and psychic reading/mediumship. Other practitioners honor more traditional ways. Additionally some practitioners may integrate bodywork or massage into Reiki, while others may simply hover hands over the body while you remain fully clothed. Select a practitioner that meets your needs and preferences.
4. Experience: Experience matters in the practice of Reiki. A practitioner who has been practicing Reiki for a considerable length of time is likely to have a better understanding of energy dynamics and healing techniques.
5. Professionalism: A professional Reiki practitioner will maintain a clear and ethical approach to their practice. They should be respectful, punctual, and maintain appropriate boundaries during sessions. Choose a practitioner who communicates clearly and listens attentively to your concerns and needs. A good practitioner will explain the process, address any questions you have, and ensure you're comfortable throughout the session.
6. Transparency: A trustworthy practitioner is transparent about their process, fees, and what you can expect from a session. Avoid practitioners who make grand promises or guarantee specific outcomes. Reiki is non-directive in nature and designed to be a complementary therapy. Reiki Practitioners do not provide medical advice.
7. Reviews and Recommendations: Read reviews and seek recommendations from friends, family, or online communities. Positive feedback can provide insight into the practitioner's effectiveness and demeanor. If you keep hearing people talk or post about Reiki "randomly," listen in! That's how ElizaBeth's path in Reiki started--she kept hearing people talk about it and eventually got curious enough to try it.
8, Intention and Approach: Inquire about the practitioner's intention and approach. A good Reiki practitioner focuses on facilitating healing rather than imposing their energy on you. They should honor your individual healing journey. Reiki practitioners do not "heal" you, they simply facilitate you connecting to healing energy through the healing spaces and practices they create.
9. Your Comfort Level: Ultimately, choose a Reiki practitioner with whom you feel comfortable and safe. Your intuition plays a significant role in this decision-making process. Again, listen to your body!
Remember, the effectiveness of Reiki can vary from person to person, so it's important to approach the process with an open mind and realistic expectations. A qualified and compassionate Reiki practitioner can guide you on a journey of healing and self-discovery, helping you attune to the flow of "ki" in your body.
Join ElizaBeth for a Reiki Training to learn more about Reiki, and build your practice to support your own healing and the healing of others.
ElizaBeth Alexander is currently offering Reiki Trainings in California, in Silicon Valley, including in Mountain View and Los Altos. Come learn the power of hands-on healing for your self and others. Reiki Trainings with ElizaBeth are intimate and immersive experiences, designed to help you awaken your healer within.
It is an honor to guide and facilitate trainings for new and seasoned practitioners on the Reiki path.
Whether your desire for deeper self-healing, the intention to be of service to others, or simply following the curiosity and whispers of your heart has led you here, welcome.
Reiki trainings are intimate and immersive experiences, designed to help you awaken your healer within.
With deep gratitude to my teachers and those who have led the way for me, I welcome you to the path of Reiki. - ElizaBeth
Stay connected to ElizaBeth
Emails are short & sweet and curated to include:
new podcast episodes
things that I love
healing arts musings
1-3 emails/month, unsubscribe anytime